An Inn has stood on this site since the 18th Century and was originally known as the Stourton Inn. In 1815 the name was changed to the Spread Eagle.
The gate piers with the Eagle heads, the walls between the memorial hall and the Inn date from the early 19th Century when the courtyard was created roughly in its present form to service the Inn.
When first constructed in the mid 18th Century the Inn building consisted of the Front Range with Flemish bond brickwork facing the yard, appearing much as it does today. The two rear wings were built of stone at the same time and together with the Front Range formed a u-shape. To this mid 18th Century building, the kitchen area was added along with the rear hall and bedrooms above probably at the turn of the 19th Century.
Although altered, the Inn retains many fine architectural details including Georgian and Regency fireplaces, some 18th Century door cases and original sash windows.
The National Trust acquired The Spread Eagle in 1946 when the Stourhead Estate was given to them by the Hoare family.