This immensely stylish dining pub – with its ‘country house in the city’ feel – is owned and run by classically trained chef David Cambridge and partner Annie Smith, aka the 'most welcoming' Front of House Manager.
Outstanding pub food and à la carte fine dining menus are available – or you can simply savour the wide selection of real ale, fine wines and spirits. Eat in The Dispensary’s welcoming bar or book a table in one of the three private dining areas within our historic grade two listed building, now exquisitely restored and redecorated in the English Heritage style.
The Dispensary was aquired in September 2006 by Annie Smith and David Cambridge and, since then, they have built its reputation as a destination dining pub for those who work in the City and those who visit from beyond. The landmark site in Leman Street, close to Aldgate East, was once the Eastern Dispensary Hospital, erected in 1859 to provide health care for the poorest Eastenders. In 2013-14, David and Annie embarked on an ambitious refurbishment project, commissioning the award-winning designer Jackie McWeeney to transform the period interiors of this grand Italianate building, with so many original features.