One of the oldest Inn`s in Wales and know all over the World for its character and ambience.
The Black Boy Inn, set deep in the evocative Royal Borough of Caernarfon, has been a welcome retreat for weary travellers for centuries. Built circa 1522, it is one of the oldest inns in North Wales.
Formerly the 'King's Arms' and the 'Fleur de Lys', one landlord bought the other out and created the Black Boy Inn as it is today. Prior to 1828, the 'King's Arms' was known as the 'Black Boy'.
Located in Northgate Street, the Black Boy Inn is one of the few remaining free houses owned by an independent family business in the United Kingdom. It has load bearing walls of up to one and a half metres thick, and four exterior signs each showing a 'black buoy' on one side and a 'black boy' on the other.
There are at least three theories to explain the origins of its name. One relates to a black boy brought into the country on a ship, another suggests it is related to a navigational buoy which existed in the harbour in the early days of the Inn, and the third refers to the nickname given to Charles II by his mother and the fact that Royalists met here secretly at that time.