The Compasses has been a part of the local community for 100s of years and will continue to do so under the management of Ken and Jan Lellow. On taking over in October 2016 they have given the pub a much needed £35,000 refurbishment.
The original name of the pub was The Butcher and Compasses and was built in about 1725. The section to the left in the photograph (with the wall planters) is the original pub. The section to the right used to be the old stable block (now a restaurant) the centre section was an open courtyard for the horse drawn carriages. As with most old inns bits get added on over the years, so we now have the 1900 century version of the Compasses inn.
The first recorded landlords were a William Herbert 1825 Sara Herbert 1841 and Joseph Herbert 1851-1861 the later being a butcher and a landlord.
We no longer sell meat... but we do offer a great main, bar and takeaway menus. Serving every day from 11am until late evening. There is a well kept range of beers, lagers, wines and soft drinks and comfortable seating areas to enjoy.
" Our four legged friends are welcome in the bar area "
There will always be a warm welcome...
So we look forward to seeing you soon..