The White Horse inn was built in the 17th century as a farmhouse, the architectural details suggest it was built in the early 1600's, maybe as early as circa 1600. There are several examples of stop chamfer moldings on the beams in the downstairs bar and restaurant that are typical of this date. The wide oak floorboards on the first floor and attic also suggests 17th century as does the positioning of the inglenook fireplace. The quality of the timber frame indicates a high status house and unusually thetimbers on the first floor appear of a higher quality than the ground floor.
It was built on the three-cell lobby entrance plan, the front door opposite the stack annd to the left would of been the parlour with a parlour chamber above and to the right the hall that served as a combination of kitchen, dining and lounge. Above the hall is the hall chamber. Beyond the hall there is a third bay where the 19th century extension stands. This would have been the service end and an area used for storing foodstuffs and ale. The service end was probably destroyed in the 19th century to make way for the new parlour and parlour chamber/master bedroom. Some of the windows are in roughly the same position as the origional openings but others have been blocked up on the rear elevation.
The Suffolk Record Office shows that the White Horse was run as a ale house from 1844, although this does not mean it was not run as one before this. We do know that inquests were held at The White Horse as well as ale being sold!