The Rat Trap has always retained its popularity with Stratton residents and, standing on the main road to Highworth from Swindon and close to the Stratton by-pass that links Swindon and the M4 with Cirencester, it is also a handy place for travellers to b
Traditionally this is still a pub that concentrates on serving good beer and proper pub food.
- pub food & Sunday lunch
- NEW FUNCTION ROOM
- two bars
- pub garden
The first beerhouse here probably opened in the 1840s but by 1859 a new building had been erected by the owner, Thomas Stroud, and stayed in the family for exactly 40 years.
Arkell's bought the pub in 1899 and until 1974 it was still called The Plough.
Then, following refurbishment and the building of an extension, Arkell's decided to officially endorse the nickname that had stayed with the pub for so long. The Rat Trap won the day at last.
An unusual Pied Piper motif in the carpet of the lounge echoes the story.