Known as a town house in 1580, this is one of Halifax's oldest inns, parts of the structure dating to its opening in 1668. The back bar-lounge, with its high ceiling, has a vast set of mullion windows that almost fill an entire wall. There are sets of high tables and chairs, a pool table and a serving area for lunchtime diners. The front lounge has sofas, raised areas, and a leaded roof dome. The room is divided by an unusual leaded window containing the cock motif.The first floor Oak Room, where the Halifax Building Society was formed, is now a function room and has oak panelling, a stained glass window with twenty lights and a fireplace of 1581. Outside, note the gallows sign at the lower entrance to Old Cock Yard.