Time until you can enjoy yourself inside a pub with 5 mates
Following the 2nd world war this pub was known locally as The Flying Lancaster, a name which was prominent on a large signboard outside pub, depicting a Lancaster Bomber in flight. Strangely enough, the majority of aeroplanes used at the then nearby Desford Airbase were De Havilland Tiger Moth, although a Lancaster which was diverted here after returning from an operation overshot the flare path and hit two Tiger Moths. It is widely assumed proximity of the airbase is the origin of the pubs name but this pub is of the late Victorian period predating Lancaster Bombers by quite some time. A more probable reason for the pubs name is that prior to the enclosure Act of Parliament 1760, the title Lord of the Manor of Desford was synonymous with the right to the title of Duchy of Lancaster, a title held by non-other than the King. As such he was entitled to up to 18 wagon loads of hay from Kings Meadow which is situated near to The Lancaster Arms. The pub consists of a public bar with quarry tiled floors and original exposed gnarled ceiling timbers. To one side of the bar is a conservatory dining area whilst on the other side is seating area with a cottagey ambience. To the rear is a large restaurant area. Out the back are a paved patio with external quality furniture and a lawned garden with picnic tables.