A landmark in its own right, The Grenadier in Belgrave Square is royalty amongst London pubs. This historic treasure chest is not your usual insipid public house. The Grenadier reputation is as illustrious as it is mysterious.
Originally built in 1720 as the Officers Mess for The First Royal Regiment of Foot Guards, the Grenadier became a licensed premise in 1818 to serve as The Guardsman Public House; it was latter renamed The Grenadier.
In 1656, the First Royal Regiment of Foot Guards was formed. As a result of the heroism they showed whilst fighting off the French Grenadiers at Waterloo in 1815, they were renamed by Royal Proclamation as the ‘First Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards’, thus becoming the only regiment in the British Army to be named for one of its battle honours. The building was built in 1720 as the home to the Foot Guards Regiment. It was famously known as the Duke of Wellington’s Officers Mess and was even frequented by King George IV.
It is so called after a young Grenadier, affectionately named Ceric by locals, whom is said to have been caught cheating at a game of cards. The story goes that his comrades savagely beat him to death as a punishment. An exact date as to when this happened is unknown, but it is presumed that that fateful night was in the month of September, as this is the time of year that The Grenadier receives an onslaught of supernatural and spooky activity! Past visitors of the pub have attempted to pay off Cedric’s debt by attaching money to the ceiling, which, after over a century, has been totally covered with transatlantic money.