The United Brethren has stood on this site since the 1840′s. The building originally was home to two brothers, one who worked as a blacksmith and the other a coal merchant, and finally evolved as a public house. hence the title – it has nothing to do with being a church or belonging to the masons! The pub belongs to the Gray family, who were Chelmsford brewers until the 1970′s. The original oasthouse in Springfield Road is now home to various restaurants and shops.
Landlords have come and gone over the years, and the present publican, Melvyn, and his wife Sheila have been at the U.B. since December 2003.